Background – River Annan
The River Annan rises in the hills near Moffat and also close to the source of the River Tweed and River Clyde. It meanders 78km length through mainly farmland until it reaches the Solway Forth. The Annan produces some of the best brown trout fishing in Europe, as well as huge Grayling, Sea Trout and Salmon. Fishing permits can be bought for both association waters and private beats. If you have never fished the river before, a fishing guide is essential as your guide will not only know the boundaries of beats, but safe access points, different levels of wading and where the fish will likely be. Of course the wading varies greatly on the river, most sections offer safe shallow wading with fine gravel, but deeper pools are more challenging and knowledge is required to keep guests safe.
Trout & Grayling wade fly fishing in the River Annan
Spring time offer the opportunity to catch a real specimen Brown Trout on the Annan. When in spring to fish very much depends on what type of Spring each season has. If the weather in January and February is unusually mild, then good hatches of Blue Winged Olives and March Browns can be seen as early as the opening days of the season. The wild brown trout season starts on March 15th and runs till October 6th. Generally Mid April to Mid May is the best time on the river for trout, but speak to your guide before booking.
Prime Grayling season November to February
The River Annan is one of the finest Grayling rivers in Europe with 2lb + fish commonplace and 3lb + specimens every season to our guests’ rods. We offer and coach a variety of methods of fly fishing, including, French leaders, Czech nymphing with strike indicators and Tenkara. (see video page)
How does your fishing day go?
You can be collected from your hotel by your guide, or we can meet you at an agreed location. A day normal runs from 08:30 to 17:30, however we are flexible with timings.
We provide premium fishing tackle, you can try the new Orvis Helios 3 rods and Sage LL rods, with the very best Rio and Barrio fly lines. We use Orvis breathable waders, and boots with tungsten studs, to minimise slipping on the river bed. Auto inflate life vests are provided. All the flies are tied by our guides and are highly effective. Orvis Sonic waterproof wading Jackets can also be supplied should you forget yours, simply provide us with your size when booking the trip. Equally we carry spare sunglasses should you forget yours.
You will not be part of a group. Your dedicated guide will be close all day and give you as little or as much attention as you prefer, including casting tips, how to read the river or just general banter.
When you need solitude you can just enjoy the river, we will watch from a distance with net at the ready.
Included in this fishing package
- River Annan fishing permits for a private stretch of the river
- Transport arrangements from Edinburgh or Moffat(other locations cost TBC)
- Dedicated professional River Fishing Guide
- The latest fishing tackle – Orvis Helios and Sage trout rods, hand tied flies and
- Photographs of the day – link to Dropbox
- Clothing, footwear/ waders and sunglasses
- Wading Jacket
- Alba Game Fishing Baseball cap – £25
- Tenkara fishing – no extra charge
- Gourmet cooked lunches served in riverside cabin, with wine and a welcome Dram. All the ingredients are locally sourced and organic. £35
- Photo book of your day’s experience – £120
- Riverside accommodation in River Tweed House from £75 per night.
- Double room 2 people and a 4 poster bed per night bed and breakfast £120
- Alba Game fishing secret weapon fly box- with 20 hand tied patterns £100